Monday, August 25, 2008

1986

To whom it may concern:

I was born March 12th 1986 in Anchorage, AK. I grew up in a military(marine corps) family. My dad was a recruiter, thus the reason I was born in such a random state. But hey, it makes me unique. My parents divorced when I was about 4 or 5, I'm thinking more around the age of 4. Not too sure. I grew up in southern California my entire life. I don't remember Alaska except from pictures and stories. I have 3 brothers, a half, a step and a whole. Confusing I know...but all in all I wouldn't trade my disfunctional family for anything in the world. My oldest brother Steve is who i spent the majority of my childhood with. My step brother Miles, who I never refer to as step brother by the way, lived with my Dad and Step mom, who I never call step mom, and I saw him on the every other weekends with my Dad.
I don't use the word "step" in reference to my family because i don't think its fair. Blood does not always make you family. I believe that people enter your life for reasons only the good Lord above knows, and those people are the ones who were sent/given to you to make your life better. Everyone assumes that they have to hate their step families, I laugh when people ask if i hate my "step" mom. It's impossible to hate someone who has done nothing but love you for you from the moment they met you.
The half brother is an entirely other story. I met him a few times while younger, lost touch, reunited and then he disappeared again. No one really understands why, but in my opinion, I don't want you around anyways. Just because you are blood does not make you my brother. I don't even know him, nor does he know me. I think I like it that way at this point.
I was given the best Dad i could possibly ever ask for, he is not perfect and yes, made some mistakes, but at the end of the day he loves his kids. And that right there is all that matters. I am a daddy's girl through and through. My brother Steve is the one who is closest with our mom. I'm just going to say it, She favors him. Ha. He is my mother trapped in a 26 year old mans body. He make look just like our Dad but Lord help him, he is just like our mom. I on the other hand, am like my dad. I have his sense of humor and I think I have his outlook on life as well. Life is too short to be miserable. He and I both don't like to play the victim, while my brother and mom on the other hand, walk around acting like they've been dealt a bad hand.
I have 2 Moms. One that birthed me, and one that got me the easy way labor free. She is my rock. i talk to her like I would a friend. She never once treated me like i was not her own, in fact she has treated me far better than my own mother. As I get older I start to realize just how amazing my family is. I am actually thankful my parents divorced. If they hadn't I wouldn't have such a great "step" mom and "step" brother. Everything happens for a reason.
So that about sums me up a bit. My family is crazy, but at the end of the day, we are all that we've got.


-Jamie

2 comments:

Wrider II said...

Wow.. I am honored beyond words. Love you bunches. Keep the blog up! I will check it daily!!

I have no doubt you had no idea I also have a blog.....!!!

birdman said...

the wrider sold you out...
I agree - blood does not make family - I have friends that I have known since I was 10 and most since high school- ALMOST 30 year relationships and they are not friends but my brothers.... truly brothers....

welcome to the blogging world!!!!